Disability

I like the fact that we discussed ideas about disability and what we think as disabled. I thought about it for a while after leaving class and thinking about it. How can we put a solid definition on disability? We can all agree that anyone who is at a disadvantage in society as having a disability. But at what point does it no longer become a disability? When we think of someone in a wheelchair, we don't always think disabled unless there is something that they want to do that is completely unavailable to them based on things like ability to get there. But cognitively they aren't at a disadvantage, so is it still ok? I think cognitive disabilities are more serious than physical. Like with the deaf community, they are just a minority, not necessarily a disabled community. We all (in my opinion) have our own disabilities (physical, mental, reasoning. We have have strengths and weaknesses, can be thought of as minor disabilities). But we don't think of them as such because we think of things like PTSD and blindness and mental disabilities.

I think the idea should be more about answering a question like, "Can the person in question function in society with little disadvantage?" Sure, we still need to cater to differences (ramps, light signals on fire alarms, etc.)

I watched Rain Man with my roommate last night and I think it was good to compare that to Forrest Gump. Lt. Dan and Forrest are two interesting characters to consider. Lt. Dan didn't have use of his legs, but he still had the ability to function in society. Raymond (in Rain Man) is someone who is an autistic savant. While Raymond was so smart, he was not able to function in normal society, while Forrest, someone who has a childish innocence and brain power, was able to function well enough in society. While Forrest Gump by no means represents the typical case of someone in a similar situation as him, I think it is important to think about and realize when talking about something so grey (not black and white by any stretch of the imagination), we need to consider things by a case to case basis. I don't know, maybe this is just me rambling about a really long thought process revolving around two movies and kind of thinking about real life.
Once I thought about what I would think of myself if one day I couldn't hear a thing. I don't think I would consider myself disabled, but other people might think of me as disabled.