Disabled?

This weeks lectures raised some really great points. We read about the stigmas that are placed on people who are, in our society, often referred to as disabled. I have to say that I feel as though it is not necessarily up to us to decide or label those who are disabled or not. Like the example shown in the "Switched At Birth" clip, deaf people are often times categorized in the group of disabled, when really that is not at all how they view themselves. It becomes almost offensive. Deaf view themselves as just a minority group rather. So if someone is a little slower, not exactly up to par, "not normal", does that mean they are disabled? I think with any aspect of life that people may not match up exactly like us, we are quick to put the disabled hat on them.

Absolutely agree, Kassie, and this is exactly what I spoke on in my blog post. I mentioned that disability is a concept that is socially constructed. To what right do we as external viewers have the right to label someone as being disabled. I have taken a class that focused a lot on ASL and about the deaf people who are involved in communities that communicate via sign language. Nearly 9 times out of 10 you could ask someone from the deaf community if he/she felt like he/she was disabled, and they would reply no. We are the minority (we being those with a narrow perspective about the effects of one's one accountability for living an independent lifestyle). In a way, we are disabled from the rest of the world for having a limited perspective.