Our discussion on disabilities

I think it is very beneficial that we took the time in class to discuss a minority group that is largely overlooked when it comes to civil rights. Many people with disabilities wish they could go about the normal activities of their day without being treated as if they were different. This seems very obvious on one level, they have had to alter the way they do almost everything on a day to day basis in order to function in a world not specifically designed for someone with their disability. Feeling like an outcast, ostracized from the rest of civilization would be brutal for the basic human need of acceptance. I think if we present people with disabilities more frequently on television programs, without defining them by their disability, our society can move towards one in which people are not defined by their situation. In terms of the idea of deafness, I personally would consider this to be a disability. I know when we discussed this in class, the consensus was that these people have learned to adapt and don't wish to be viewed as disabled. In reality, I think that a lack of one of the most commonly used senses would qualify as disabled. I'm sure there is a certain amount of pride that goes along with being able to live without hearing in a world not designed for someone with that condition, but it would certainly make life more difficult and I think we should still be accommodating, though that does not mean that these people should be treated differently.

I think you bring up a lot of really good issues here and none of them have easy answers or solutions. I would like to respond to the issue of whether or not deafness is a disability. Before i read this article i would have said that it definitely is, no question. However after reading this article one thing that i really think about is how ironic it is that it is non disabled people that determine if something is a disability or not. How could you possibly know if it is a disability or not? that is why i think that more communication needs to happen between disabled and non disabled communities. I think that deafness is a disability in younger years when the person is still adapting to the world where the majority of communication is verbal and they cannot hear it. However i think that after they master different forms of alternative communication they can live without any help. For example in Switched at Birth the young woman who was deaf had absolutely no trouble communicating with people that were not deaf.

I really liked how you brought up the issue of the disability and how we have to accommodate with them but not treating them differently. I think this is an important issue that we all should consider. It was a very interesting discussion to talk about in the class, and the film we watched was very relevant to the essay we read and helped me to understand the article more.