the future of media

The future of media is a really interesting topic to debate right now I think. I am glad this topic came up for discussion in class (though it seems almost unavoidable given the themes of the class). It really seems as if there are two staunchly different schools of thought when it comes to future media; those who are excited for the advancements to come and those who believe the quality of journalism will decline due to the accessibility of a general platform of information. The internet has changed everything from business, to personal connections, to the way we even think. I read a study that said people today think 10% faster, multitask almost twice as much, and speak faster than we did even twenty years ago. That says a lot about how we will dissect information and also poses the question of what type of information will we find important and what does this mean for the future? I don't have a strong enough understanding of the human mind and its evolution practices to give a strong opinion as to how media will evolve, but I can say with confidence that it will happen very soon. The world will be a completely different place ten years from now. I would guess that there will be a greater difference between 2012 and 2022 than there was from 2002 to 2012. I could see a move towards niche-news media, though I think the idea of a 'front page' will always remain, as people are looking for the most important information to stay in the loop. This will lead to an exposure to various topics and hopefully encourage people to pursue a broad range of information on their own.