We have it all...don't we?

This week's discussion about the debate between old and new media actually really made me think about where we'll be in the next 10 years. I mean you look back, as Johnson put it into perspective, at our "ecosystem" of journalism/media environment when the newspaper and magazines were our primary sources of information. So many people relied on the newspaper to be caught up with what was going on in the world. You compare that with modern day technology and the newspaper didn't even put a dent in what the World Wide Web begins to provide. It's endless--literally never ending. The Internet will never go away; such a monolithic advancement that it begs the question, "What's next?" What is really next? Don't we have it all already? Can't we "Google" anything to find an answer for everything? Even with other parts of technology, and I'll pick on Apple. As a consumer, what more would you really like to see your I-phone do? Make you dinner and tuck you in at night? Well there's about a million apps for recipes, and I'm sure there's another few hundred for bedtime stories. My tone in this post isn't upsetting or anything, it's just I don't really know what the future will hold in the next decade. I'm anxious to find out. How will greater advancements affect education? Will there even be a point to go to college in 20 years? Won't we be able to teach ourselves everything about anything?

You definitely ask a lot of good questions in this post and raise valid points. On thing that i talked about why i liked this topic and thought it was relavant was because we will get to see how changes play out within our lifetimes. I think that this is a very unique opportunity because a lot of times speculation on the future does not necessarily mean you will ever actually find out how it turns out. In this case however technology is, as you say, evolving so fast that we will just have to wait and see what we are doing in 20 years from now. The thing i think is cool though is that we will almost definitely see how this plays out first hand.

You ask a great question. I have also been wondering where technology will take us over the next 10-20 years. It is going to be interesting. If we look back, at the developments since the 1990s and before it seems to be developing at an exponential rate. So it looks like the "ecosystem" is going to grow even faster over the next 10-20 years. Its a daunting concept and like the previous poster said its cool that we get a front row seat for it.