« Searching For The Other Angela Sheltons | Main | Angela Shelton & the Road to Recovery »

Searching for Angela Shelton...

Searching for Angela Shelton raises a very important topic and tells a story that needs to be told but Shelton's abuse of the camera tells it in a very irresponsible way. The way she brings her subjects to such a fragile and unpredictable place (especially the anonymous Angela Shelton) tells me that she is more interested in making a dramatic documentary than actually helping the other Angela Sheltons. In this film, the road functions as a metaphor for Angela Shelton's personal journey to acceptance of her tramatic childhood. If I were making this documentary, I might have spent more time developing the stories of the other Angela Sheltons and utilized more responsible filming tactics. In fact, I probably wouldn't have made this into a film at all. A book would better tell these womens' stories and most likely result in more honest accounts. Many of them seemed very uncomfortable with the idea of being on camera and often said that they wouldn't for fear of hurting their families.