« Angela Shelton & the Road to Recovery | Main | the road and such »

Searching for Angela Shelton

Searching for Angela Shelton is very intriguing movie, mainly because there are a lot of things going on within the movie. My first thought about the road: it was never ending like the movie! But after further thinking and reflection I realized that the road signified more than I initially realized. The road really encompassed her journey. In her quest to find other Angela’s, the road was not a straight line from city to city or in a logical order. That was mirrored even within the editing and telling of her own story. The film jumped around a lot, I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster of my own.
In class we talked about how this movie was uniquely different from the other films because it was more through the female gaze then through the male gaze. I would like to challenge that because I felt her whole journey on the road, in the film and through her life revolved around unfinished business with her dad. He became the center of the story. I even felt like he some what had control over the viewer as well. I don’t believe the male gaze was completely hidden, for the most part I feel like it never went away. The issues that were talked about revolved around violence against women, other issues were graphically sexual—all of which the male gaze was present. Also, how can the male gaze go away when it is the dominant norm? It would like saying that whiteness or heterosexuality can exist at times and not exist at other times.