« Home? | Main | Gay identity and stereotypes »

To Priscilla Thanks For Everything.

"Representations of normative whiteness foreground race and ethnicity as categories of difference Queer and camp representations, though non-normative in terms of sex and gender, are still consistently defined through categories of racial difference and especially blackness" (Robertson 280).
Until I read this phrase, I really didn't find much of Robertson's analysis to be veracious, after all the characters of Shirley and Cynthia were just single characters, and attempting to read too much into their placement in the film. I saw them primarily as comedic devices, and means to undermine hetero-normativity, not as insistent racist or misogynist archetypes to create some sort of white masculinist discourse.

What struck so strongly was how the Aboriginal Man (Alan Dargin) and his fellow Aborigines were constructed "not so much united with the drag queens but existing for them" (280). Granted the narrative, was primarily about the three queens, but to not even give their desert saviors a name, and to seemingly simply typecast the Aborigines in a position of subjugation similar to that of black american caricatures does seem at the very least a trifle hypocritical.
That being said, it'd be interesting to a do a comparative analysis of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of The Desert, with To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar (a film I have not yet viewed) and see how the inclusion of a black main character could change the racial dynamics, and subvert the invisible white normativity.