Dwayne.jpg

Continue reading "" »

leaving normal...

Leaving Normal is reminiscent of those Hallmark movies my mom used to make me watch on Sunday evenings. Though sometimes cute, it was way too cheesy for me. The idea could've been portrayed in a more effective way, with characters who were less neurotic and more accessible. It surprised me that this was the last movie of the semester, it seemed like a strange fit.

My favorite movie from this semester was probably The Grace Lee Project. It kept my interest for the whole film, and Grace Lee's mission seemed so heartfelt. Her presentation of the topic was excellent.

It's a tie...!

My favorite road movie from this class would have to be Girl on a Motorcyle or Vegabond. I liked these two movies because I had never seen or heard about them before. I wouldn't have seen them if it was not for this class and they were unlike any movies I have ever seen. It seems like movies are losing originality in plot and these two movies were unlike that. Girl on a Motorcycle was a little cheesy and the male gaze in the film was absolutely ridiculous but I enjoyed watching something and being able to analyze it with the tools we were given in class. Vegabond was...well I will just call it interesting. You never knew how the main character was going to act, and you never knew her next move. This was a difficult blog because I will always like Easy Rider as well....but Girl on a Motorcyle and Vegabond were new to me and I like older movies.

Leaving Normal

While the film Leaving Normal was at times over-the-top cheesy, I enjoyed it nonetheless. The film was a bit too happily-ever-after, especially at the end when the two women and the two young squatters come together in the new house to form a sort of family unit. I liked the female friendship and bonding aspect of the movie as well as the fact that everything seemed to work out for them.

My favorite film from this class was Little Miss Sunshine, but that happens to be my all time favorite. Boys on the Side would have to be my second favorite, probably because there's an aspect that we as women can all relate to. Thanks for a great semester. As a Fisheries and Wildlife student, I enjoyed this class much more than I expected.

Leaving Normal Reaction

This movie was pretty damn corny. It wasn't different from any movie we have been watching at all. It didn't give me any message to take away with. It was just another movie about 2 women who have nothinggoing for them and just leaving to escape their problems.

In general, the number of films I liked in this class were few and far between. They all had the same message and in many cases made women look very stupid and emotionally weak.

My favorite movie was either Priscilla. It though it was hilarious and silly and they really pushed their boundaries which is something I love. It is a concept that I like to watchin adn deal with everyday.

final blog entry

I disliked "Leaving Normal" a lot! I thought it was a really bad film. It seemed like it was just a heart warming film from the Woman's Entertainment channel. I do not really see how it applies to anything. I felt like we just watched it because P. Zita liked it. I do see some of things that we discussed but this film was a really bad example of them. Everthing was too obvious.

My favorite film was "Little Miss Sunshine". Even though I had a likeness for the film before we watched it in class, I looked at it in a different way. I thought it was fun to draw paralells between this film and the other films that we watched. I really liked it because it wasn't just one or two people on the road, there were many people that were affected by the road trip. They were a family but they were all so different and came from different places. Each family member was affected in there own way but it brought them together as a cohesive unit. It was also interesting to see different genders, sexes, and ages being affected in the same film. It was a modern day road film

I love you Harry.

MV5BMTkyMDIyMjYyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzgwMDc2MQ@@._V1._SY90_PIimdb-arrow,TopLeft,28,17__SY90_.jpg

I loved you when I first saw you...

Continue reading "I love you Harry." »

I love you Harry.

I loved you when I first saw you...

Continue reading "I love you Harry." »

I loved you when I first saw you....

Continue reading "I loved you when I first saw you...." »

I loved you when I first saw you....

Little Miss Sunshine

Overall I was quite disappointed like many others with Leaving the Normal. Being that our papers were based around this particular concept in terms of being disconnected with the road I was felt that more of a message could have been conveyed to the audience through the title.

After reflecting on the course of the semester I must say that my favorite road film including one of my favorite movies of all time still would have to be Little Miss Sunshine. The internal struggles that are occurring simultaneously and continuously colliding is constantly keeps me thinking in terms of connecting the characters to the concept of "leaving the normal." The end of the film brings about such a rewarding feeling showing that it is impossible to completely leave normality behind and emphasizing the strength and bond of family that is can be created despite differences and constant struggle. Through struggle we are capable of reaching stability in our lives.

I loved you when I first saw you....

Download file

Final Blog

I wasn't quite sure how to feel about Leaving Normal. I thought the whole thing was kind of cheesy, especially the new family they formed at the end. I also wasn't sure about how to feel about the truck driver, I guess I wasn't sure about how neccesary it was. I also would have liked to find out about the daughter. This was certainly not my favorite road film of the year, it was belittled by Set it Off which was my personal favorite. I thought that it was an interesting exploration into the pressures of race and womanhood and it was one of the few movies that had a satisfying ending.
Hope you all have a wonderful time with finals! Thanks Professor Zita!

"Set it Off" and "Easy Rider"

Leaving Normal was an okay film. I honestly am having trouble even specifying the details of the movie even though I attentively watched the entire thing. I did find it kind of boring and slow at different parts.

I would have to say my all time favorite road film is a toss between "Set it Off" and "Easy Rider". I guess I enjoy the rebellious aspects of the road film. "Set it Off" demonstrates the oppression and struggle it takes to move up a class or try to make a better life for yourself when you live in the ghetto. I enjoyed the passion of these girls and the motive of the film. I also enjoyed "Easy Rider" because of the rebellious lifestyle Dwight and Billie choose to live out on the road, and the way in which society tries to place them back into society.

I loved this class! Thank you Prof Zita!

One Final Trip

Leaving Normal was an okay film. It was a little long for me and there was nothing special about it. The writing was okay, the acting was fine, and the cinematography was good for the lower budget film. There were some really cheesey aspects the film. Such as, Sixty-Six and her getting engaged to a rich many after meeting him for only a few hours. However, I was happy that Marianne and Darlene were able to leave their bad habits behind them and find a home together in Alaska. Also, I liked how the film was left open ended. It is up to the viewer to decide the fate for both of these women, do Marianne and Harry ever meet again, and does Darlene ever get to see her daughter?
It is hard to pick just one film from the entire semester that I liked best. Of course, Little Miss Sunshine is up there because it is so typical of every family and a person can easily relate to it. Set if Off was also one of my favorite because it focused on the minorities in America and showed the struggle that people go through just to survive day by day. Easy Rider was also very good, even though it downplays women but it really shows the focus of the film industry in 1960s. Finally, Thelma and Louise just broke all the rules and really set up a new set of characters for women. Overall, I really enjoyed this semester and all of the wonderful films we got to explore.