« Not so much... | Main | Aitken and Lukinbeal - Queen of the Desert »

Queens in the Desert

I must also apologize for my tardiness. My exam this morning left me in need of a nap and my alarm did not go off...

I agree with Aitkin and Lukinbeal's article that the Queens of the Desert were not liberated in their masculinity, but returned to the logic of hegemonic masculinity. I think that the potential for liberation was presented, but nothing became of it. Once leaving their safe haven of Sydney, they take their homosexual life and the safety that is associated with it on the road with them, relying on the bus for safety and the "normality" of the life they left. While the culture outside of the bus changes, they can always retreat back to the bus if society does not welcome them. As noted in the article, the only point where they were almost in hysterics was when their bus broke down. They are reliant upon Priscilla for their way of life to travel with them.

Aitkin and Lukinbeal also state that "the broader narrative of the movie, with its focus on family, community and sedentarism is suffused with a seemingly incontestable partriarchal logic" (358). I find this to be true, that the norms of a patriarchal society are not challenged in this film, but are conformed to. Mitzi gets to be the normal father and Bernadette gets an outwardly normal heterosexual relationship. While over-the-top flashiness and gaudiness present themselves in every scene, hegemonic masculinity is not overturned or challenged, but instead is embraced.