Evangelist vows to fight sex charges

Georgia Baptist pastor Eddie Long vowed to fight recent allegations that he had sexual relationships with four young men when he addressed his congregation Sunday, according to CNN.

Four lawsuits were filed against Long, 57, by four men claiming that the minister and television celebrity had sexual relationships when they were in their teens. Long spoke publically about the allegations for the first time Sunday, in front of his congregation, according to the New York Times.

Long, who preaches passionately against homosexuality, oversees a 25,000-member church which includes a school and is a popular television personality. The men are former members of the church, according to CNN.

The men claim the married minster paid for the four to go to Kenya, where they were given gifts and were asked to perform sexual favors, according to CNN.

The evangelist was met with general support by his congregation in the two services he held on Sunday, according to the New York Times.

"I want you to know, as I said earlier, that I am not a perfect man. But this thing, I'm going to fight," Long said, according to CNN.

This page contains a single entry by zittl005 published on September 26, 2010 6:08 PM.

American and Afghan troops target Kandahar was the previous entry in this blog.

Poll shows Dayton leading Emmer is the next entry in this blog.