View Zhirong Zhao's profile on LinkedIn

Blogroll

My pages

Visitors

Powered by

Header image of Hong Kong financial center courtesy of hleung on flickr.

I study fiscal issues: state and local budget, transportation finance, and nonprofit financial management. I use geeky stuff: statistics (with R), GIS, and LaTeX. In the blog I write about my work; so it is all about fiscal issues & geeky stuff.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Debt and (not much) deleveraging

A new McKinsey Global Institute (MGI) report, Debt and (not much) deleveraging, examines the evolution of debt across 47 countries and finds that debt-to-GDP ratios have risen in the majority of them.

The analysis follows MGIS's July 2011 report, Debt and deleveraging: The global credit bubble and its economic consequences, and its 2012 report, Debt and deleveraging: Uneven progress on the path to growth.

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 9.21.03 AM.png

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Who gives, who gets?

A nice recent article from StarTribune shows that the seven metro counties pay most taxes while many western rural counties get most aid.

Every fiscal arrangement will necessarily involve benefit redistribution, not only at the personal level but also across places, as is depicted by this article. Seeing the patterns is very helpful; understanding the course and weighting its pros and cons, however, requires a lot more research and debates.

Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 5.30.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 5.37.34 PM.png

Monday, January 19, 2015

The purse of the one percent

20141018_gdc951.png

Wealthiest 1% will soon own more than the rest of the world's population combined. The Economist, 10/14/2014.

Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs