View Zhirong Zhao's profile on LinkedIn

Blogroll

My pages

Visitors

Powered by

Header image of Hong Kong financial center courtesy of hleung on flickr.

Local government CAFRs and nonprofit financial reports

In my PA5003 course I ask students to collect the comprehensive annual financial reports (CAFRs) of a local government for three consecutive years. It is a key expectation of this course for them to understand these financial reports: to know what kinds of financial information are included, how they are organized, how are the numbers related to each other, and how these numbers as a whole representing a complete picture of the organization's financial condition.

There are a substantial number of students interested in nonprofit management. They may want to use financial reports of a nonprofit rather than a government, which is conditionally allowed but not encouraged. It is allowed, because curiosity and interests are the best teachers and I am glad to facilitate your inquiry. It is not encouraged, however, for two reasons:

1. Public and nonprofit organizations are closely related: they share the same missions for the delivery of common goods, they have the same calling of accountability, and they have tight budget connections in service delivery. It is critical for you to understand how governments function even if your future career goal is in the nonprofit sector;

2. The financial reporting system is complicated for governments, but even more complicated for nonprofits -- not because of technical difficulty, it is due to the lack of standard and uniformity. The nonprofit sector is outnumber and more diverse than local governments. States vary in their financial reporting requirements for nonprofits. Even for a same requirement like IRS 990, the quality of compliance is low. For all these reasons, it may be more difficult for you to learn or simply to finish assignments if you are using financial reports of NPOs.

Having said that, if you are still fixed for NPOs, here comes some criteria for screening:

1. The annual budget (total expenditure) of the NPO should be larger than 50k;
2. The NPO is registered in Minnesota which has higher requirements of nonprofit financial reporting than many other states;
3. The financial reports should be "audited financial statements" and include the following information:
a. types of assets, types of liabilities, and net assets;
b. types of revenue from different sources, and expenditures by functions areas

where is download website link, i cant discover..

I really like your writing style, excellent info , regards for posting : D.

But wanna remark that you have a very nice web site, I enjoy the layout it really stands out.

I got what you mean, appreciate it for posting. Woh I am thankful to find this website through google.

Mr. Elliott,
Letters via USPS sounds so novel in the internet age whether or not it is one letter produced for many, but it surely doesn't sound like a pen-pal relationship. Can 1 write back to the author in the letter?

Thank you so much regarding giving my family an update on this issue on your web page. Please be aware that if a fresh post appears or if perhaps any adjustments occur on the current write-up, I would want to consider reading a lot more and focusing on how to make good use of those methods you share. Thanks for your efforts and consideration of other individuals by making this website available.

Aaaaand yet again FLORIDA is totally forgotten about.

JUST BEND DOWN, SNIFF MY VA JAY JAY & ENJOY IT! :p

Simply wanna input on few general things, The website pattern is perfect, the written content is really superb :D.

Are you on drugs?

I have been reading out a few of your stories and i can claim pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog.

Heartburn, also known as gastro-esophageal reflux disease, or GERD, happens being a result of the coexistence of two medical conditions. The 1st acid reflux disease contributing condition is a retrograde flow of stomach contents into the esophagus. Regardless, the reflux itself does not normally lead to gastro-esophageal reflux disease signs or symptoms or histologic changes, and can occur among normal individuals as well. In this case, the process is referred to as "physiologic gastroesophageal reflux".

I like the efforts you have put in this, thanks for all the great articles.

Believe it or not unlike the Brits in The best Exotic Marigold Hotel, who want to leave England I'd personally love to retire to England. I like that country!

yeah be in charge of sunny stuff

Hi, Thanks for your summon. I exposed your page by way of Bing and hope you swear providing much further first-rate articles.

Thanks for the suggestions

Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs