A lecture outline for nonprofit financial management
This is a tentative outline for my PA 5920 Skill Workshop: Financial Management of Nonprofit Organizations. You can click on the links to get additional references for related topics. Comments and questions are welcome!
1. What are nonprofit organizations?
❑ What is in a name?
❑ Basics of nonprofit management
• Formation, structure, and tax exempt status
• National taxonomy of exempt entities (details)
❑ Key fiscal issues for nonprofits
• Nonprofit accountability
• Nonprofit and government
• Nonprofit fiscal stress
2. Nonprofit finance and budgeting
❑ Revenue sources
• Service fees: from individuals or organizations
• Fund-raising: sources and issues
• Other revenues (investment, membership due, etc)
❑ Functional expenses
• Program expenses
• Administrative expenses
• Fund-raising expenses
• Types of nonprofit borrowing
❑ Nonprofit budgeting
• Budgeting process
• Budgeting techniques
4. Nonprofit financial reports
❑ Requirements of financial reporting
• IRS990: where to get it? how to read it?
• Requirements at the state level
• Some special issues (Urban Institute)
❑ Nonprofit financial accounting
• Statement of activities
• Statement of financial position
• Statement of cash flows
❑ Nonprofit financial conditions
• Financial condition analysis
• Assessing financial vulnerability of nonprofits
• Pros and cons of nonprofit financial comparison
*: Click here to download the PowerPoint file of the lecture in PDF (updated 01/17/2009).