View Zhirong Zhao's profile on LinkedIn

Blogroll

My pages

Visitors

Powered by

Header image of Hong Kong financial center courtesy of hleung on flickr.

Value capture: A land tax for transit?

"A land tax for transit is fair, because transit service increases land values, and those who benefit the most pay the most." 

A recent issue of monthly publication of the Heartland Institute, "Public Transit Creates Value but Fails to Collect," calls for the use of a land value tax to supplement transit funding in order to "avoid (or minimize) service cuts and fare increases" as many transit agencies around the nation "have been in financial difficulty for a long time."

The essay compares the land value tax to more commonly used alternatives like sales tax or automobile registration fee. The question is whether we want consumers, motorists, or landowners to pay the transit subsidy. "To some extent these are the same people, but the economic impacts of taxing them aren't the same." A sales tax may burden the poor people the most and drive commerce out . Increase automobile registration fee may be less regressive than a sales tax, yet it is unfair for low-incomers cannot afford to live in the areas with good transit service, and hard to prevent evasion by people who register their cars elsewhere. 

A land tax is considered a much better choice. It is not regressive "because many poor people own no land at all, and if they do own land it is of relatively low value;" it can't be evaded "because land is visible and real estate tax information is public;" it is fair "because transit service increases land values and those who benefit the most pay the most;" and it can't drive away jobs "because it isn't a tax on economic activity."

The essay was based on the Henry George School's recent Research Note #5A: "Retrieving Transit's Benefits": 

I wrote a whole post on twitter not so long ago, it's a very good tool for market leadership and free marketing for biz!

I have realized some new issues from your web-site about computers. Another thing I've always believed is that laptop computers have become a product that each household must have for many reasons. They offer convenient ways in which to organize the home, pay bills, search for information, study, listen to music and also watch shows. An innovative approach to complete these types of tasks has been a computer. These personal computers are portable ones, small, potent and portable.

Excellent that's a good compliment, since I know you're not a marketer.

hello!,I like your writing so much! proportion we keep in touch extra about your article on AOL? I require an expert on this space to solve my problem. Maybe that is you! Looking forward to look you.

There is no vice so simple but assumes some mark of virtue on his outward parts.

Good Day to all. My Corporation Is from the Greece and i get a brand-new web business. Kindly Visit my web and tell me your opinions. Currently, There Are many ideas and information about my job role. It Really Is f-r-e-e 100% and without even registrator. Thx To all people who is going to surf to my great new web-site. This Will Help To my job. | τζάκια |

Greetings! I've been reading your website for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!

So they the Government go on in strange paradox, decided only to be undecided, resolved to be irresolute, adamant for drift, sol

I appreciate your wp design, where would you down load it from?

It really is simply a core, it needs a comprehensive restoration at $1,000,000+ in addition to win at Pebble.

Thanks for taking time and energy to talk and believe about time and now, for posting the slides of the recent talk. I'm glad to obtain it offered. It took time for me to as a final point get on your book and I however regret not taking advantage on the discussion in the ebook you allow as a result of CV but so it goes.

last time i saw a mouth like elsa.s and marisol,s it experienced a hook in it

all major Vegas Strip hotels, a basic breakfast, and a box lunch. ... See the original publish: Tips Concerning Grand Canyon Bus Excursions From Las Vegas All-Inclusive Getaway to Mexico | BizX Vacation

What a great piece of graphic web style we've right here I seriously like what you might have been performing thanks for sharing

Two amazing people indeed. Pretty special son as well. As Jim Wangers has claimed quite a few a lot of instances. We can easily not hold them we only have them for the even though since they belong to time. Designed could day Joe and Kristine........

In great attempts, it is even glorious to fail.

I've emphatically started at Insignificant Lolitas
Wherever the hell is Teddy when u necessary him? I Represent SHE GAVE BECKY DIS JUZ PISSED ME THE HELL OFF

Some really wonderful posts on this site, thanks for contribution.

Loving the information on this web site, you have done outstanding job on the blog posts.

Perfectly You have got To Go out After In Awile For more beer.Seriously That Garage Is often a Operate Of Artwork....Awesome

I think first responders have some of the most challenging jobs on the planet. They have to be prepared at all times and shouyld be given the necessary tools provided for any number of potential situations.

I gotta favorite this website it seems very helpful extremely helpful.

You sound like ur not gonna lie so I am gonna do this.

I genuinely like your web-site it can be indeed really cool with some very good content.

They suck. They are nothing at all like smoking. It is not worth the money. They are expensive and leave you wanting a real cig.

Wow! Thank you! I permanently needed to write on my website something like that. Can I implement a portion of your post to my site?

The angry birds rocks! I've played out a lot of addictive online games but this one particular out of the box.

By tracking the money coming in to debt themselves. These reserve accounts are set aside for the payment period is therefore 8 /100 0.08. For a good 10-20 more for your company.

Take Nothing but Pictures.
Leave nothing but footprints.
Kill nothing but time.

I am always thought about this, appreciate it for putting up.

how much people are contributing to this blog?

Very interesting info!Perfect just what I was looking for!

Residence on Haunted Hill:br /Eccentric millionaire turns his modern abode right into a property of horrors... and you happen to be visiting why?

Game BoyNintendo released the Peryn base T9000 processors which would have lost our shirts.

about play boy,pamela andereson and other porn stars

Ordered on Thursday, received in Hawaii on Saturday! Works as advertised and I feel satisfied without the need to smoke any "real" cigarettes. For me, this will work and will be the only thing that has worked! Smokes just right, no odors. Feels a bit heavy but this is a good solid feel, not bulky. Easy to use, charging is a breeze.

We are the recommended builder for your office, have a look at our portfolio..

There is many other projects that involve the exact protocols you mentioned above. I shall continue reading on the message.

Definitly true! I was telling to my friend the same thing a week ago. Thanks for the tip.

You are an ocean of understanding, otherwise how is it possible to write and express your opinion on every single subject so effortlessly. Bow prior to you!

Pardon me if this really is off-topic, but much more folks need to definitely concentrate on what just happened in Oslo. Just remember it could come about in our country too.

Friday Night Lights can be a good television series, i love the game and i enjoy the story::

I like this post a lot. I'll certainly be back again. Hope that I can read more insightful posts then. Is going to be sharing your wisdom with all of my friends!

I’ve got some ongoing projects and I wanted all these students help me with it.

on line health stores usually give some promo and discounts that is certainly why i generally order from them**

One thing I would like to say is the fact that,Thanks for the tips

Well, it's not a complete bible on the subject but you have well written this brief article and i am sure many will enjoy reading it.

Which is so neat Courtney! You could publish a pic on our Facebook wall of nearly anything you close up executing we'd Love to see it!

Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs