View Zhirong Zhao's profile on LinkedIn

Blogroll

My pages

Visitors

Powered by

Header image of Hong Kong financial center courtesy of hleung on flickr.

Spatial data mining in local finance

Data mining is the automatic process of sorting through large amounts of data and discovering patterns. It has been described as "the nontrivial extraction of implicit, previously unknown, and potentially useful information from data" (Frawley et al 1992). For an introduction to data mining, see presentation slides on the website of Professor Robert Stine, from whom I learned the topic at ICPSR

Spatial data ming is the application of data mining techniques to spatial data, with the objective to discover spatial patterns. Still at the early stage of development, spatial data mining is considered a new field with boundaries yet to be defined. In general, spatial data mining focuses more on large data sets and tend to be exploratory in nature, with heavy reliance on newly developed computational powers (Professor Guo). 

In a recent project I am using exploratory spatial data analysis (EDA) to visualize and analyze spatial patterns of inter-local fiscal relations with a comprehensive database that include hundreds of fiscal variables for all local governments in Georgia. This may be an example of spatial data mining in the study of public finance and local government management. I am eager to meet others with similar interests. (Click here to get my presentation slides on ABFM 2007.)

Some resources about spatial data mining: 
  1. Spatial data mining research group in UMN
  2. Spatial data mining @ University of Munich
More to come...

Good post -- and also the how and how to never pitch. I'm embarrassed that a great many in my field just do not get it.

April 18th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

We have download and upload in themes but after i activated the them layout is not shown or any other them options, please help me.

You may try saving as PNG (lossless as opposed to JPG), or the other thing that I can think of is that you could need to rasterize your smart objects, and after that save it being a PNG. Be careful to not save over your original PSD, because once you rasterize, you won't be able to un-rasterize.

Excellent tip. Many thanks a lot. I only have one particular question though. Many of the above works for me but 1 thing I cannot upload my videos using iweb. When i select a video to upload the iweb function is dimmed. I'm using iweb 06. Any suggestions?

I actually like this approach and use it for most of what I do online. But I get into all-or-nothing phases where I won't even start on a project if I do not think I can make it turn out perfect. In no way starting is usually a waste of a superior idea and opportunity.

Interesting post. I am curious about your recommendation for "leaving your Twitter handle or Facebook fan web page URL rather than linking back again to your site." I've normally considered that leaving your website address is 1 way of adding a few more links to your web site. I'm curious about why "its better" to leave a Twitter handle and forgo that potential website link. Do you might have a blog publish the consider a close look at this strategy?

Wow! Cool logos! "Human" really wonderful)))

Hi Ardith! Even if you you should not use a Twitter account, you might still be able to see the Pinning Prompt when you click on the Twitter weblink from the blog publish. If you would like to create a Pinterest account, you can login using Facebook, Twitter, or create a new username.

Hi Steve! Thanks for the comment! I hope the tips help!

you can use the Unicode for this for example.

My small hometown of Pendleton SC is my niche on Squidoo and Squidoo has been the perfect place to promote businesses, events, and the town in general. I am looking forward to following your publish and learning more on how to build local lenses.

My son and that i are testing the waters and I am helping him build an incredibly simple side scroller.

Hey There to any person. My Organization Is by Greece and i feature a amazing world wide web site. Click On my web and told me your thoughts and opinions. Currently, There Are many smart ideas and information of my work. It Truly Is zero-cost 100% and without registrator. Cheers To each and every who can check my great new url. This'll Help my job. | τζάκια |

Hello. I noticed your website title, "Fiscal Issues & Geeky Stuff -
Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs" does not really reflect the content of your web page. When composing your website title, do you think it's most beneficial to write it for Search engine optimisation or for your audience? This is one thing I've been struggling with due to the fact I want good search rankings but at the same time I want the best quality for my visitors.

Is usually that a red 76? Ford Maverick in front of your HW store, partially obscured through the arch?

I adore your wordpress web template, where do you get a hold of it through?

That will be like washing any moondust/re-entry marks off of your NASA Apollo Lunar Modules which are in our museums. Apart from that you will find even now a great deal of Studebakers out there, we do not have to have 1 colored how it absolutely was originally.

In my experience V2 has been everything I could have hoped for. My whole ordering process went smoothly from beginning to end. I did A LOT of research before finally settling on V2 as my e-cig supplier, and since my starter kit arrived (over a month ago) I have not had a cigarette! V2 has many different flavors to choose from and so far all that I have tried have been fantastic. Their carts last at least as long as a pack of traditional cigs would and their batteries hold a long charge. I was also really impressed by the amount of vapor V2 e-cigs produce...very thick and smoke-like. I honestly do not miss cigarettes at all! In fact it feels like I am still smoking. They have many different batteries/cartridges/accessories to choose from and they have managed to mimic the whole sensation/feeling/throat hit of smoking an actual cigarette. I recommend V2 strongly to anyone interested in trying e-cigs. Not only am I saving money it is nice to know that I may also be saving my life. I have read where some had problems with V2's shipping times and I can say that I have never had any problems at all. V2's customer service is outstanding (no, I do not work for V2) and they go out of their way to please their customers. Not only is the product and customer service great but they are always running sales and have discounts...V2 has truly changed my life and it is wonderful to now consider myself a "non-smoker"!!!Jeff

I am really thankful to this topic because it really gives great information ,;'

I always was concerned in this subject and still am, thank you for posting.

greetings I'm jenny I'm such a blonde but I still particularly loved your blog

Hi, Thank u for this useful information.

Awesome info and interestingly written. Keep up the wonderful stuff!

Simply wanna say that this is invaluable , Thanks for taking your time to write this.

tattooed on Missy Germain's arm. Missy and I met at BlogHer '10 in August. She created a large impact on me with her tale of

I saw a lot of website but I think this one has something special in it. "The thought of being president frightens me. I do not think I want the job." by Ronald Reagan.

Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood.

I wish outer-space guys would conquer Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little basket-beds

Hey,just found your blog and curious what hosting company do you use for your web site,the speed is much more quicker than my site, i definitely need it. Can you please tell me the hosting plan you use? Thanks!

Appreciate it! This a good online site.|

Really fantastic visual appeal on this web site , I'd rate it 10 10.

Wow! This site is great. Thanks.

What a lovely day for a 897924! SCK was here

Hi YOU. YOu will mary me! Right!? Maybe? Please!!!

What used to be called liberal is now called radical, what used to be called radical is now called insane, what used to be calle

These stories get me excited about what is possible. thanks =)

Fundamentalists are to Christianity what paint-by-numbers is to art.

The fact remains went these by mistake, at the same time surfing around news out of the world, however , seeing this page We were in charge of a time. How will you make this happen? Article included on my top picks.

Awesome info it is without doubt. My teacher has been waiting for this tips.

Nicely performed! But why a blue steering wheel? Paul

I always was interested in this topic and still am, thanks for putting up.

"That i truly take advantage of reading through on this topic web page, everything holds great content material. "And all of the wind gusts proceed sighing, With regard to sweet points perishing. " through Christina Georgina Rossetti. inch

I think you website is incredibly great and I actually do like both your content and graphic. I've no challenges acquiring aroung on your distinct pages either quite easy to figre out which is great, specially nowadays in which so mange complicate thinks to significantly.

"Only wanna admit until this is very beneficial, Regards whenever determining in order to take your time and efforts to publish this specific. "

"Hello! As i merely want to deliver a massive thumbs collectively created for the good info you have got the following in this particular blog post. As i will be emerging again with your website created for extra in no time. "

"Sweet blog! I found this while browsing on Yahoo Information. Do you have any tips about how to obtain detailed within Google News? I have been trying for a while but We never appear to get there! Thanks"

Personally trying to locate my ancestor's: YAAG, JOHN or Lillian, YAAG. Both of GERMAN ANCESTRY / John (Henri) Yaag came over from ENGLAND. Areas told that Family members have Lived: New York, VA., DC., PA., Pottsville or Pottstown, PA., MD. . Anyone can help me find Relatives related to : John Henri Yaag.
Please contact me. Thank You,
Vivian L. Yaag

"I do consider all of the suggestions you have offered for the put up. They're really prodding and will certainly give great results. Still, often the products are in fact as well short for the purpose of newcomers. Might most people why don't you extend these products a little due to following example? Thank you for ones set up. inch

I'm confused as to the Census' definition of "origin" and "race". When will "American" be considered an origin? Maybe in the 1790's, capturing someone's origin, such as Germany, Sweden, Mexico, Spain, etc. may have been important considering the number of immigrants that were entering the United States; however, I do not see how it is relative now considering 95% of the people completing the census were born in America, therefore their origin is American, which is not captured.
I have spoken to several friends that are Hispanic (which is a race that is not captured); however there parents were born in America, they were born in America and therefore they consider themselves as Americans, not Mexican Americans, so how do you expect them to answer question 8? Who do you expect them to answer question 9; White? What is the definition of "White"? Why is "Mexican American" considered an origin, but "African American" considered a race? How do you expect persons of mixed race to answer questions 8 and 9?
Your origin is where you came from and your race is who you represent. And I think it is about high time the government starts capturing this information more accurately.

MARVELOUS Put up. thanks a great deal for the purpose of show.. much more hang around.. …

I hope it will likely be a great enjoyment to visit your blog again after i return along with my kids from school

I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

Lasagna looks excellent. after i was new the following bought raclette slices intending to possess swiss cheese in my sandwiches. ooops couldn't bear the smell or taste . Might I request you to do a submit about Swiss cheese. I am still experimenting with them. also buying on aktion'. Up to now i only like gruyere.

What a lovely day for a 338211! SCK was here

Never go out to meet trouble. If you will just sit still, nine cases out of ten someone will intercept it before it reaches you.

Kumbaya!! Let the bans ban the bans and the PC's of today kill us all....people need to relax more in life and enjoy the time we are here.

Hello, I want to subscribe for this web site to obtain most recent updates, so where can i do it please help out.

I enjoy your work , thankyou for all the good posts .

Just wanna say that this is extremely helpful, Thanks for taking your time to write this. "Hollywood is a place where people from Iowa mistake each other for stars." by Fred Allen.

Perdoname que tengo que escribir esto, pero la verdad es que lo necesito

1 Why do you need for being president?

I am not really great with English but I line up this really easy to translate.

The hottest and the most exciting ts video shows. Exclusive xxx models with the biggest dicks and the sexiest bodies waiting for you here. Enjoy!

Woo nice piece. Just what I needed for dis essay I'm strugglin wiv. Mucho appreciated!

Arrived here by Yahoo. Great stuff, enlightening and entertaining! Thanks

Smartly said! My pals think you have done this fantastically!

I'm in Orange County and actually haven't seen the power generators out here yet. However, I think it's important that we, as a nation invest in alternative and especially renewable energy. Not to mention the jobs that these large projects produce. It will be nice to see more companies embracing renewable energy and working together to solve the energy crisis.

I like this website very much, Its a very nice spot to read and receive info.

Hi Andrew
I would say the biggest challenge I had to overcome in college would be accepting that I would have no friends. Almost all of the students ignore me because they are too ignorant or afraid to talk to me. I t used to bother me, but now it doesn't because if they are too rude to talk to me, I don't want them as friends. Besides, I am 31 now, so I have nothing in common with most of the other students!

Once you arrive to that time, then you truly feel like each zit needs to fade instantly. But how are you expected to complete that when each worry in your workplace will be a contributing aspect to even cause a lot more split outs?

The Midland, TX LCO has similar stuff going on as in Brooklyn. Enumerators being let go for no reason, CLs telling them to falsify EQs and 308s, information being lost, etc. I don't think half of the questionnaires they are submitting are correct.

Lovely essay, received the satisfaction of reading Como Combatir la Celulitis http://comoquitarlacelulitits.blog02.com

Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs