View Zhirong Zhao's profile on LinkedIn

Blogroll

My pages

Visitors

Powered by

Header image of Hong Kong financial center courtesy of hleung on flickr.

Should Nonprofits Pay Tax?

The executive director of Wilder Research, Paul Mattessich, asked this question on his blog last summer: Should nonprofits pay taxes?
You might say no, but what if you knew that the National Football League is a nonprofit organization, or that some nonprofit CEOs earn more than many local business executives? A recent, front page article in the New York Times, citing a new Minnesota court ruling, described the increasing number of challenges across the nation regarding the tax exempt status of nonprofits, and it raised the issue of how to define “nonprofit”.

Mattessich argued that there are some very good reasons why nonprofits should be taxed: among them, the fact that nonprofits, like other businesses, consume public goods provided by government--fire and police protection, transportation infrastructure, etc. In this sense, from a benefit-received perspective, it seems appropriate to levy some form of nonprofit business tax.

Mattessich also noted several counter-arguments to taxation. Among the most compelling is that the activities of many nonprofits are substantially funded by government. In these cases, it makes little sense to tax government-supported activities. As the line between the public and para-public sectors grows increasingly blurry, I suspect that this "tax or no tax" question will be more difficult to settle. As governments enter into collaborations and partnerships with parapublic and private institutions in an effort to maximize efficiency and stimulate competition, who can know to which entity the "value added" or "profit" should be assigned?

Other cash-strapped jurisdictions (who isn't these days?) have proposed levying taxes upon activities unrelated to a nonprofit organization's exempt purpose. The city of Philadelphia recently proposed an expansion to its tax regulation:

...the proposed changes were broad enough to permit the city to tax universities for dorm fees, performing-arts theaters for concession-stand sales, and small community groups for fund-raising dinners.

This unrelated business income tax for nonprofits is hardly new, but in practice has been only loosely enforced--if only because of the inherent difficulty in judging an income-producing activity's relationship to the organization's exempt purpose. At the margin, the answer is rarely cut and dried.

(Posted by Bjorn, originally at the Course Weblog of PA5113)

I think it depends on the type of non-profits we are talking about. If it is an organization, such as the National Football League, where it is involved with many for profit organizations and actually helps them make a profit, then yes, it should be taxed. But non profits such as Save The Family or Children International. Where their goal is to help shouldn't be.

Your comment about non-profit CEO's earnings more than for profit CEO's is irrelevant in my opinion. these individuals should be taxed the same as for profit workers.

So much excellent information on here. I discovered it on google.

I need a fantastic place to host my blog, do you know associated with a?

Thank you for your blog post. ThomasVelupe and I are saving for our new ebook on this subject matter and your short article has made us all to save the

Thank you for sharing this great article. I am always interested in learning more concerning this matter. I will be back for more!

Forrester. Let me think, can I even remember a Forrester? Old age and the Big A are setting in on me you know. We have no golf game and that i am planning to play Wednesday but I'm afraid once Doyle and the guys see how bad I'm they may not let me play with them on Thursday. Maybe Joe would let me play with him and Adam but I'm afraid I might not be great enough even for them. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

hi, Interface Talent Network seems to be a truly professional company. And appears to be like like folks are getting opportunities from here. Do they consider global candidates ?

Here go some answers to questions raised above:

I concur, and its fantastic to know there is some value in posting my urls
in twitter

Lauren Conrad is quite influential and popular among the 18-24 demo.
She is the ideal representative to adopt the .mobi extension.
Very glad to see this marriage of .mobi and Ms.Conrad.

Fantastic publish Alia. I usually knew guest blogging for others is actually a good way to generate new traffic and Google Bot enjoy but many thanks for pointing out the other side of that: Having others guest put up on your blog. Those benefits are definitely compelling as, of course the author is then likely to link to you. Excellent stuff.

Which card is greatest and an easy task to get if I've extremely low credit score? Any recommendation

What a lovely day for a 2016156! SCK was here

So what if some of them hate it? They can learn to talk about things and employ critical pondering and say why they dislike something. If any of them go on to college they're planning to really need to browse a lot of stuff they may not enjoy reading in the sciences, math, history and other topic areas besides literature.

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My site has a lot of exclusive content I've either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any methods to help prevent content from being stolen? I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks, I have been searching for facts about this subject for ages and yours is the best I've located so far.

What a lovely day for a 3098947! SCK was here

This is such a great blog over here. I wanna thank you for that and I'll visit your website again. Please take a look at my website also??? Thanks!

for those of us just getting begun, is there any chance of getting some with the letters mailed in the past?

As is normally the case with these shots, I am amazed at how bustling the downtowns ended up while in the 1950s and 1960s as as opposed on the street perspective today. This one particular is particularly striking, with much of the buildings gone and turned into parking lots, the majority of which contain no cars. Needless to say if you can find no buildings housing businesses there is no reason to own cars arrive downtown and use those people lots. The large building to the ideal is absent as are the many street-level buildings plus the businesses that have been when in them. It appears like a ghost city.

What a lovely day for a 1234979! SCK was here

I m looking forward desperately for the next post of yours.. This is a good post, indeed a great job. You must have done good research for the work, i appreciate your efforts. Looking for more updates from your side. Thanks for the FANTASTIC post! This information is really good and thanks a ton for sharing it

Yep, the Rambler is really a '61 Cross Place. And I usually did like the rear conclusion treatment on all those '60 Mercs.

Give me six lines written by the most honorable of men, and I will find an excuse in them to hang him.

If you dont want to do anything any excuse is as great as any other.

I like the efforts you have put in this, appreciate it for all the great content.

I really like reclaimed wood In fact, I am for the hunt for just a huge slab of it for an upcoming project Great submit!!!!!!!

B List three perils that are given: short term and long term.In the present scenario, there are still proper ways that this has to be creative and safe with my money. Your answer should be in narrative form, not just a checklist of items inspected. Course of a professional inspection firm.

Cool text and it reads in a flash, particularly because of the fact that it is written in a very understandable light language.

I love your writing style truly loving this site. "Only he is free who cultivates his own thoughts, and strives without fear to do justice to them." by Berthold Auerbach.

I haven't read such a/an substantial entry for a long time. It reads amazingly well and I expect new articles of this user.

Simply wanna admit that this is very helpful , Thanks for taking your time to write this.

I am content that I seen this weblog , specifically the right information that I was looking for! .

allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your encounter, lips, tongue, or throat. Buy Zolpidem on line.

First-class post it is actually. I've been awaiting for this content.

The pilot smiled, waved, looked at his map, determined the system to steer to SEATAC airport, and landed safely. Immediately after they were to the ground, the copilot questioned the pilot how he experienced carried out it."I knew it needed to be the Microsoft Building, mainly because they gave me a technically precise but entirely useless response!"

You may have not intended to do so, but I feel you have managed to express the state of mind that a lot of men and women are in. The sense of wanting to help, but not knowing how or where, is some thing a lot of us are going through.

Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs