View Zhirong Zhao's profile on LinkedIn

Blogroll

My pages

Visitors

Powered by

Header image of Hong Kong financial center courtesy of hleung on flickr.

Think Congestion is Costly?

This is a guest post, originally posted by Julia at the Course Weblog of PA5113:
---- ----

Minneapolis-St.Paul is now the 10th worst city in the nation when it comes traffic congestion, according to results of a national traffic study by the Washington-based firm Inrix. The Twin Cities ranked 13th on Inrix's 2007 survey, but moved up three spots to No. 10 in 2009. The bumper-to-bumper traffic brought a huge price on valuable time, productivity, energy consumption, air quality, and even safety on the road. Texas Transportation Institute calculated that the nearly 1.4 million Twin Cities rush-hour commuters in 2005 wasted 41.8 million gallons of fuel stuck in traffic. Also lost over the year were an average of 43 hours per driver valued at $14.60 per hour for individuals and $77.10 for businesses. That same year, the American Automobile Association (AAA) study said the Twin Cities area cost per resident of crashes was $757, and more than one study concluded crashes account for up to half the congestion we encountered.

As a market-based solution, congesting pricing became an experimental measure to reduce traffic volume. Some researchers estimated that a 1 percent increase in the time-plus-money cost of automobile travel would lead to roughly a 1 percent reduction in the rate at which those trips are taken. In 2005, Minnesota opened its first priced lane, the I-394 MnPASS HOT Lanes. In September 2009, a similar congestion pricing scheme which called Priced Dynamic Shoulder Lanes (PDSL).

According to the evaluation of I-394 HOT lanes in operation in 2007, it did successful work as a traffic management. Average speeds in the unrestricted/free lanes have gone from 58.9mph to 62.2mph - an increase of 3.3mph or nearly 6%. But the revenue is under half forecast, just a bit over $1m. How to financially self-support challenge this market-based measure. The emergence of Public-Private partnerships (PPPs) offers an innovative method for financing infrastructure in pricing roadways.

For decades, policymakers have largely relied on taxes from gasoline to fund investment in roadways. But the growing scarcity of fossil fuels and the political infeasibility of raising taxes make the revenues from transportation-related taxes are failing to keep apace with the needs of the transportation system, the congestion pricing really provides a trial not only in improving life quality, but also in funding transportation infrastructure.

Inrix is a private corporation selling traffic management information, which makes it a bit suspect. A much less biased source of information is the Texas Transportation Institute. They take loop detector data to interpolate congestion.

http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/congestion_data/tables/national/table_1.pdf

From this, you get a very different perspective on congestion. The Twin Cities are actually on the low end relatively speaking. Congestion has been increasing here compared to other places because we have had capacity to become more congested, something many other places do not have because they are already so congested.

As to the MinnPass lane, it barely covers it operating costs and comes nowhere near its capital costs. The other thing it has taught us is that Minnesotans are very cheap and would rather sit in (not too bad) congestion rather than paying to not be in it.

Public Private Partnerships have not proven to be effective in every case. Private companies would like you to believe it but it hasn't been the case. Basically you are giving a geographic monopoly to a private company, with all the potential for abuse that comes along with that situation. Case in point, the 91 Express Lanes in Los Angeles. You can read about them here:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/private-public-road-1956983-company-state

And the real question is "what can private industry do that government can't?" Unless there is a clear answer, there probably isn't a good answer. It isn't true that private industry is magically better than government. So what would help would be a clear discussion of what about private industry means that they could provide infrastructure better than government.

Your infographic will be of wonderful value for people today new in social networks to choose between Facebook and Google+. Like a long-time user of Google lookup engine and Gmail, I believe Google+ will win more users with more confidence. But, 1 question, where to seek help when a Google+ user has a question about how to use its many fantastic functions?

It is so interesting to read all of this. I used to be a single who obviously was "beat" a few times at boarding college... ...the female had issues. That family members was only dorm- parents for that year, and were not asked to come again. Clearly, mission boards Really have to DEAL WITH this issue regularly, and whether we feel justified by their action or innaction, I REST in knowing they will have to give an account to God, AS DO the abusers... ...as do I for whatever sin We have done in my life, no matter how big or how small. I am so glad I haven't got to carry around the baggage of my sin or unforgiveness anymore.
I cannot... ...it's way too heavy.

The No Website link Leakage rule is extremely interesting. In no way saw it that way before. Thanks!

When should I expect my first letter?

Good list of Go Daddy Promo Codes, I think they are the ideal not far too long ago they did a .com offer for $1 I got a single for myself in addition to a bundle load for my friends.

Omg, appreciate!!! The interaction between the 2 is awesome. So are your photos

I just made three new posts. One particular with a Nextgen Gallery, just one with a Single Image from the WP Media Gallery, and just one with an Image from URL, all in the specified category. The settings are established to grab from all but still no images in the preview.

I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content for you? I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome website!

We stumbled over here by a different page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to checking out your web page yet again.

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say great blog!

I just added this site to my google reader, excellent stuff. Cannot get enough!

Hi there, your instruction for your fan badge are quite clear, but I feel like I'm losing my mind! Why will not I see these side options (in your image) listed on the left side of my web page? All I see are:

cant wait around to see dealpixel!
I would enjoy to win once way too! we have to purchase an ipad to do each of the testing for app desing.. and they are as well expensive here in argentina!

I am not sure why the 18% of GDP argument fits below. The fact that there now exists a huge physician shortage is at really least the explanation why Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants should really select up the slack. Every one of us know that. The dilemma is political. Physicians in general and many who are AMA members cannot accept the very fact that PA's and NP's are incredibly smart and competent professionals. Most MD's who embrace us use a significantly far more rich and entire apply and these who trust to complete the proper point and apply competently, do a lot better than practices and systems that really don't. It can be just that uncomplicated, persons. This is all dependent on egotistical physicians and managers who will be additional concerned about losing their political clout as opposed to looking in the authentic photo. This really is so childish and foolish and won't last pretty extended. When MD's realize they simply cannot survive independently without having us, I will chuckle loudly after they begin to beg to own us in their practices!!!

I have the worst memory! I have had a notebook/planner for many years...I really really don't know what I'd do without having it!

I see something really special in this website.

Savoring a vacation on sea is always exciting. Aided by the help of a professional sailor we enjoyed the yatch trip for the sea. Hire a yatch from a reliable source.

The secret of success is constancy of purpose.

Thanks for this post, I am a big big fan of this website would like to continue updated.

I've always been partial to Joye LR atomizers, which are typically around 1.8ohms. There are newer renditions that people seem to really love, but the Joye LRs have always worked well for me. 1.7ohm Smok Tech cartomizers are also fantastic on a 3.7v mod.

You have brought up a very great details , thanks for the post.

I uncover it intriguing how the USDA and Tom Vilsak of MONSANTO can stand up and acknowledge smaller farms and Farmers Markets. The USDA just isn't for tiny farmers. The #1 interest in the USDA is GMOs. The USDA has allowed the poisoning of Organic Farms with pesticide residue and GMO drifting by allowing MONSANTO and some others to self-regulate. That is a policy of stupidity and destruction which will lead to your demise of most smaller farms and related agricltural businesses.

Even funnier: Jacksfilms iPhone 5 parody:br /

Fantastic material you've got right here.

Dont request about facility concerns. Now is just not enough time, but ahead of was a very good time and absolutely nothing was done? So when can be a fantastic time? Lazy liars.

Heartburn, also referred to as gastro-esophageal reflux disease, or GERD, occurs consequence of the coexistence of two problems. The 1st acid reflux disease contributing condition is a retrograde flow of stomach contents into the esophagus. Though, the reflux itself does not normally give rise to gastro-esophageal reflux disease warning signs or histologic changes, and can happen among in shape individuals as well. In this situation, the process is referred to as "physiologic gastroesophageal reflux".

Super info indeed. My father has been searching for this tips.

I like this post, enjoyed this one thanks for posting .

i do not like razors so i usually use hair clippers to cut my hair;

there are many movie download sites on the internet and i need a bigger hard drive to save thoes movies**

Thank you much in support of this send. I m vastly fascinated in what you have to declare. I will maybe be present in exchange to distinguish what supplementary stuff you submit.

healthy eating should be our top priority since there are several junk foods and foods with no nutritional value these days..

Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs